Congratulations on hiring a power washing service in York County, VA! Or maybe you’re still thinking about it. Either way, there are a few things you can do to prepare your home and surfaces for the company to arrive. We will assume in this article that you are using a soft wash on the exterior of your home instead of a pressure washer which can cause damage.
Some of the following is necessary for the power washing company to do their job effectively. Some of the following is more for efficiency. All points should be considered before the power washer arrives at your property. At Soft Works Power Washing we want to be as diligent as possible by catching any potential issues, but you know your home better than anyone.
Outdoor Water Source
- Power washing companies prefer to use your outdoor water source in order to complete the job. This is not to be cheap on our end, but to actually save you money. Many of us do have water tanks that we can fill and bring to the job site, but it will cost unnecessary gas and time. Even the largest water tanks often are not enough to complete a job, meaning the power washer will have to leave and refill before finishing your house wash. All of this equals time and money that will cost you much more than just using the city water through your spigot. If you do not have outdoor water access, make sure to communicate with the company so arrangements can be made.
- Doors and windows: Double check when we arrive! You may have closed them the night before but a family member came behind you and opened a window.
- Garage doors: One, so they can be cleaned as well. Two, to prevent water from entering your garage.
- Pet doors: Normal rain and weather may not affect your pet door much, but when there is water being directly sprayed at your house it might seep in. Better safe than sorry and seal the flap.
- Problem areas: If you know of any leak problems please let the power washer know immediately. We cannot guarantee some water won’t get in, but we can certainly do our best to limit the amount.
Furniture and Other Moveable Items
Make sure the area around your house is as clear as possible. This is important for a few reasons. The first is that the power washer needs room to move and be able to reach all the nooks and crannies of your home’s exterior. If he has to navigate around too much patio furniture, for instance, it will take him longer and he may not be able to finish the job well. Unseen objects in the ground can also be dangerous for the power washer. You know there is a small lawn ornament in your lawn, but we do not. When the washer is focusing on your house wash or roof, he is not constantly checking for tripping hazards. The final reason is that water and cleaning agents will inevitable get on some items. Any fabrics or items that you want to protect should definitely be taken inside.
Wind and over-spray will carry the cleaning agents, mold, old paint, etc. onto objects around the home. Our cleaners are considered safe around plant growth, especially when diluted properly. However to be safe, our power washer will lightly spray down landscaping at the beginning with just water so that the cleaning agents will more easily roll off more easily.
A few things to look for…
- Potted plants
- Patio furniture
- Decorations such as wind chimes or flags
- Cars: Move your car to the back of the driveway or onto the street even if you are just getting a house wash
In the same vein as above, consider anything electrical that is on the exterior.
- Outlets need covers
- Unplug any extension cords or otherwise
- Any outdoor electronics such as a speaker system
- Have you been meaning to trim back those bushes for while? Or pull down the vines growing on the side of your home? This would be a good time. Not only can the plant block the house from being washed well, but can be contributing to the unwanted moss on your home.
Children and Pets
Keep them inside. Communicate with the power washer if you need to step outside or let your dog out to do business. This is for the safety of your pets and children as well as our workers. Even the friendliest of animals can cause a hazard for our worker.
Surface and Driveway Cleaning
If we have been hired to clean your driveway, please make sure your car is in the garage or the road. Especially if you are not home while the work is being done. You may also choose to blow leaves and other debris off of the surface in advance. We can certainly do it ourselves, but if there is an excessive amount it may cost extra.
By following the above guidelines you are sure to be ready for your house wash or other cleaning. Ask your power washing company if they have any specific requests as well. You may put a little work into the prep, but it will be well worth it when you see the final results! Please contact us at Soft Works Power Washing for further questions or a free quote!
Proudly Serving: Yorktown, Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, Gloucester, and surrounding areas.